The Restoration of Rangers Graves Project. William Craig.

13007094_1168730556484432_2004557372357252352_n

We’re delighted to announce that the restoration of Mr William Craig’s final resting place at Cathcart Cemetery has now been complete.

13043241_1168730653151089_1294211402685592290_n

Mr Craig was Chairman of Rangers in 1923.

13076810_1168729496484538_4545985557728231893_n

William Craig’s sudden death on 20 November, 1923 gives him the sad distinction of enjoying the shortest period in office of any Rangers chairman. This, though, understates the contribution he made to the Club over many years.

He had served on the Board since 1903 – 1904.

The “Glasgow Herald” obituary stated William Craig had been “engaged as a Clan Line stevedore”.

His life suggests he must have had a second string to his bow, possibly in business. His long years of service on the Rangers Board and his position as a Justice of the Peace would appear to support this.

13076566_1168731199817701_6159601163065314510_n

William Craig lies in the “Rangers Triangle” of graves at Cathcart Cemetery.

By extraordinary coincidence, the grave next to that of Mr Craig is R S McColl’s. Almost directly opposite, a matter of yards away, is the final resting place of our first manager Mr William Wilton.

13061943_1168731066484381_3854329452344080423_n

Funds are in place to let our work continue but please donate if you can via the link : Every penny donated counts.

PAYPAL LINK. – https://www.paypal.com/sendmoney

***Follow the link and add following email address along with donation – sonsofstruth@aol.co.uk

These men from our early years gave us so much that we still enjoy today and it’s now time to give them some respect back in return.

The Founders Project isn’t only about an education process it’s about putting everything in place for this and future generations to enjoy.

Every Rangers supporter can now contribute to The Restoration of Rangers Graves Project.

Regular updates on progress will be posted.

This Is Our City – Since 1872.

“Most people only think of Ibrox when it comes to our history…but this tour proved and showed that our history is covered all over the city – North, South, East and West” – The words of a Rangers fan after taking part in the Founders Trail.
Situated at 150 Edmiston Drive, the magnificent Ibrox Stadium has been home to Rangers for 117 years. But it is important to remember our humble beginnings in Glasgow. Our Founders; Moses McNeil, Peter Campbell, Peter McNeil and William McBeath had somewhat of a nomadic existence in our early years.
Our first game versus Callander was played at Fleshers Haugh in the East End of the city in May 1872. A popular area for sporting activity, this was our home for three years.

011

The speedy and expansive style of football played by the boys attracted the attention of the local population and crowds would gather. The young Rangers team, growing in confidence and popularity, decided to challenge the premier team of the time, Queens Park to a game. The offer was declined as Rangers lacked their own ground.

012

Rangers moved to Burnbank in the West of the city in 1875. We leased the ground from Glasgow Accies. While playing here, Moses McNeil became the first Rangers player to be capped for Scotland – the stature of the Club was growing.
After only a year at Burnbank, Rangers decided to move South of the River Clyde to Kinning Park. The playing field was situated where the Eastbound carriageway of the M8 now runs.

013

After beating Vale of Leven 2-1 here in front of a crowd of 1500, Rangers were now the “talk of the town”. Incredibly, after only 5 years of existence, Rangers would go on to play in their first ever Scottish Cup Final later that season. This would have gained a lot of attention and unsurprisingly, we now had quite a following.
As the Club was growing, so too was the city of Glasgow. The population of the city had reached half a million in the 1870’s. Predicting the further growth of the city, Rangers took the bold decision to move further West along Paisley Road to First Ibrox in 1887.

014

While situated here, we won our first League Championship (shared with Dumbarton) in 1891. We beat Celtic 3-1 at Hampden in 1894 to win our first Scottish Cup. We were League Champions again in 1899 when we went through the season undefeated. We were now firmly established as Scotland’s Premier club and we needed a home ground to match our increasing support and ambitions.
Ibrox Stadium was opened in December 1899 and has been home to Rangers ever since. With a capacity of over 50,000, we have come a long way since those early days on Fleshers Haugh. To this day, Rangers continue to draw support from all corners of Glasgow and beyond. We are a worldwide institution.

015

So as we approach the Scottish Cup Semi-Final this weekend, let us not forget that THIS IS OUR CITY!

For those wishing to learn more about the formative years of the Club, you can join us on the Founders Trail & Ibrox Stadium Tour. Check out our website  www.thegallantpioneers.co.uk for upcoming tour dates then just drop us an email to thegallantpioneers@googlemail.com or call 07902 855536 to secure your seat.

118 Years Ago Today….

 

 

Dinner Invite

Dinner Invite

118 Years ago on the 13th April 1898 a supper was held in Tom Vallance’s Metropolitan Restaurant at 40 Hutchison Street, Merchant City Glasgow.

It was held to mark the 21st Anniversary of our first Scottish Cup Final in 1877 v Vale of Leven.

It was this series of games that was to change the course of our Club’s history.

The small memorial plaque at the bottom of the invitation lists players whom we’d sadly lost since the Cup Final.

Sandy Marshall, Peter Campbell, William Dunlop and goalkeeper James Watt.

As a footnote, Tom Vallance was actually having the results of Rangers matches wired to his restaurants and announced to his patrons as early as the 1890’s.

78 Years Ago Today….

78 Years Ago Today….

On the 9th April 1938 our Founder Moses McNeil passed at Townend Hospital Dumbarton.

old

http://www.thegallantpioneers.co.uk/Moses-McNeil.html

Moses spent the last few years of his life living with his sister, Isabella, in Clynder at Craig Cottage. She died in 1935, to be followed by her brother, the last of the siblings, in 1938.
Pic of Craig Cottage.
Only 9 months after Moses’ passing Rangers would set their record attendance at Ibrox Park of 118,000 . It’s a comforting thought that our Founder was sitting in his cottage while the Club that he’d help form were now one of the biggest in the World.

They lie together with their sister Elizabeth and Isabella’s husband, Duncan Gray, in the lovely churchyard at Rosneath. But sadly for the man who gave Rangers their name his own isn’t inscribed on the family headstone.

The late Sandy Jardine was a great supporter of the Founders project and had expressed a desire to have a plaque with Moses name on it placed at the churchyard at Rosneath and this is a project that we completed on Sandy’s behalf on Sunday 28th June 2015.

Fellow Rangers supporter David Calderwood cleaned Moses stone and placed an engraved plaque which was purchased after funds were raised via the Rangers support.

2z6guh4
Today we remember Moses McNeil.

139 Years Ago Today….

139 Years Ago Today….

10487547_1087564704601018_7968565586510672357_n

The 1877 Scottish Cup Final Replay.

1877 saw the young Rangers, after trips in earlier rounds to places such as Mauchline in Ayrshire, incredibly reach the Scottish Cup Final where the mighty Vale of Leven lay in wait.
Vale had caused a sensation of their own in an earlier round by handing Queens Park their first ever defeat on Scottish soil.
The final was to be played on 17th March 1877 at Hamilton Crescent in Partick and our lads got to work to make sure that they were prepared. Moses fondly recalled tuck-ins of ham, eggs and steaks every morning after a 6am rise followed by a 10 mile training walk or a 90 minute session with the football.
The lads would train for the Final at their Kinning Park ground often late into the night and because of this the local residents daubed the Rangers ‘ The Moonlighters’ a name which actually stuck with us for a few years.
To say that the final of 1877 caught the imagination of the Glasgow public is a massive understatement as thousands made their way to Hamilton Crescent.

West of Scotland Cricket Club, Hamilton Crescent.

West of Scotland Cricket Club, Hamilton Crescent.

The first match played on the 17th March ended in a 1-1 draw with the Rangers goal coming via a Vale own goal. A crowd of 8,000 attended that day to see this team of youngsters take on the mighty Vale. The draw saw the young Rangers team carried off shoulder high by the crowd.
The replay took place on 7th April 1877 William Dunlop scored in normal time for the Rangers only for Vale to equalise, that game also ended 1-1.We then went into extra time William Dunlop scored again and up went the roar from the Rangers fans of “GOAL” and “The Cup is surely ours” but the ball incredibly was in the arms of the Vale goalkeeper .The umpires were consulted but “No goal” was the verdict passed.

Glasgow Professor of Surgery George B McLeod

Glasgow Professor of Surgery George B McLeod

Glasgow Professor of Surgery George B McLeod was standing behind the goal and was prepared to take an oath and vow that the ball had actually went through the goal, struck him on the head then landed back in the goal-keepers arms. The goal never stood, and this led to supporters of both sides invading the playing field bedlam ensued and the match was duly abandoned.
The Scottish Cup of 1877 was eventually decided at first Hampden, with Vale winning 3-2, Peter Campbell and William McNeil scoring for Rangers.
This series of games saw the transformation of the Rangers from what was essentially a boys club into a respected football club one which caught the imagination and admiration of the Glasgow working classes this is something that the Club has never lost. The Rangers were never to look back.